This is a work of fiction inspired by recurring themes in today's news. All characters, names, and events are invented and do not depict real people or organisations.
Pa Michael had watched the flag raised at the same small town square every October first for as long as he could remember, being old enough to understand what it meant, a ritual that had outlasted three of his siblings, two wives, and more government administrations than he could ever keep straight in conversation.
His granddaughter Amara, twenty-six and visiting from the city for the holiday, sat beside him on the veranda, the faint sound of the town's modest celebration drifting over from a few streets away.
"Does it still feel the same to you?" she asked. "Independence Day, I mean. After all these years."
He took his time answering, the way he took his time with most things now, each word selected with the unhurried care of someone who no longer felt the need to fill silence just for silence's sake.
"It feels different every single year, if I'm honest. Some years it felt like genuine hope. Some years it felt like going through motions I no longer fully believed in. This year, it feels like something steadier than either of those. Less dramatic than hope, less hollow than resignation."
"What would you call that middle thing?"
"Maybe just... continuation. The country is still here. I am still here to watch it still being here. Some years, that in itself felt like the whole achievement."
Amara thought about her own relationship with the day, the complicated mixture of pride and frustration she carried into every October first, the instinct to post something celebratory online fighting constantly with the instinct to post something honest instead.
"I feel guilty sometimes," she admitted, "for not feeling simply proud. Like I'm supposed to feel one clean emotion today, and instead I feel about six contradictory ones."
"Why would pride need to be simple to be real? I've loved this country my entire life, and loving it has never once been simple. Not on Independence Day sixty-five years ago when I was a boy watching the old flag come down, and the new one go up, not now."
"What was that like? The actual first one?"
Pa Michael's face did something complicated at the memory, somewhere between fondness and something more guarded. "Loud. Hopeful in a way that frightens me a little now, looking back, because we didn't yet know everything hope would eventually cost us to maintain. But real. Genuinely real, in a way I don't regret having felt, even knowing what I know now."
They sat together as the distant sound of the celebration continued, neither entirely certain how to summarise sixty-five years of a relationship as complicated as the one between a person and their country.
"I think," Amara said finally, "I'm allowed to love it complicatedly. The way you clearly do."
"That," Pa Michael said, something almost like relief in his voice, "is the only honest way I've ever known how to love it."
End of fiction. For today's actual headlines, see the link to today's headline post and video.
Comments
Post a Comment