This is a work of fiction inspired by recurring themes in today's news. All characters, names, and events are invented and do not depict real people or organizations.
Professor Adaeze had spent nineteen years teaching in New Haven, long enough to become, without quite noticing the transition, more familiar with autumn in Connecticut than with harmattan in the city she still technically called home. Her accent had softened at the edges. Her calendar had filled with the particular rhythms of a foreign academic year. And still, every conversation with her mother on the phone ended the same way, a gentle, persistent question about when she might finally come teach where she'd actually grown up.
The invitation, when it came, arrived almost anticlimactically, an email from a university back home proposing a visiting appointment, a semester of lectures, and an exchange program she'd apparently been quietly recommended for by a colleague she barely remembered meeting at a conference years earlier.
"You're actually considering this," her research partner, Daniel, said, more statement than question, watching her reread the email for the fourth time.
"I've been gone so long I don't know what version of home I'd even be returning to."
"Only one way to find out."
Her first lecture at the new campus was smaller than she'd expected, though the questions afterwards ran longer than any she'd fielded in years back in New Haven, students lingering well past the scheduled hour, less deferential than her American students, more willing to openly disagree with something she'd said, testing her ideas rather than simply absorbing them.
"You teach differently than I expected," one student, Uche, told her after the third week, not quite an accusation, more genuine curiosity. "More formal. Is that how it's done there?"
"Maybe. Or maybe I've just been away long enough that I've forgotten how it's actually done here. You'll have to keep correcting me."
He took the invitation seriously, and over the following weeks, a real exchange developed, Adaeze bringing frameworks and methods sharpened over nearly two decades abroad, her students pushing back with instincts and context she'd genuinely lost touch with, and a working understanding of the country as it actually was now, not as she'd left it.
Her mother, visiting the campus one afternoon, watched her daughter finish a lecture with something like quiet astonishment.
"I didn't think I'd see this. Not really. I'd stopped expecting it, if I'm honest."
"I almost didn't come. I kept thinking I'd become too foreign for it to actually work."
"You were never as foreign as you assumed. You just needed a reason to test that."
By the semester's end, Adaeze found she wasn't entirely sure which classroom, the one in New Haven or the one she was now leaving, felt more like home. She'd expected the visit to resolve that question cleanly. Instead, it had simply made the question more honest, no longer a comfortable abstraction she could postpone indefinitely, but a real, ongoing negotiation between two places that had each, in their own way, shaped who she'd become.
"Will you come back next year?" Uche asked on her final day.
"I don't know yet. I know I want to. That's different from knowing I will."
She left it there, unresolved, boarding her flight back to Connecticut with a folder of student essays she fully intended to keep reading long after the semester officially ended, a small, deliberate thread left connecting both sides of the water.
End of fiction. For today's actual headlines, see the link to today's headline post and video.
Comments
Post a Comment